"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Former ECW World Champion makes MMA debut

Reply to topic
scamrock
Title: Space Bastard
PostPosted: Dec 17 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Former ECW World Champion and collegiate wrestler, Bobby Lashley, made his MMA debut last Saturday with the American Fight League. He beat Joshua Franklin (who also made his MMA debut) by TKO (cut) 41 seconds into the first round.

Ba'al
Title: Zerg Zergling
PostPosted: Dec 17 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

So....he's even more like Brock Lesnar? It seems almost like he's actually going out of his way to be Black Lesnar.

scamrock
PostPosted: Dec 17 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ba‘al wrote:
So....he's even more like Brock Lesnar? It seems almost like he's actually going out of his way to be Black Lesnar.

We'll see. He looked good in the 40 seconds we actually got to see of him. But it was againsts some guy who was also 0-0 at the start of the night. Lashley is signed to a two fight contract with an option for a third. Granted, Lesnar fought a slouch his first fight as well. But his second fight was against Frank Mir.

I'll have to see more of Lashley. But he looked pretty good.

DoctorOrpheus
Title: Title: Title: Title
PostPosted: Dec 17 2008 09:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

scamrock wrote:
Ba‘al wrote:

We'll see. He looked good in the 40 seconds we actually got to see of him. But it was againsts some guy who was also 0-0 at the start of the night. Lashley is signed to a two fight contract with an option for a third. Granted, Lesnar fought a slouch his first fight as well. But his second fight was against Frank Mir.

I'll have to see more of Lashley. But he looked pretty good.

Unfortunately, Bobby Lashley is not nearly as well known as Brock Lesnar is so he probably will be fighting low to mid card matches for a while. Though I think Bobby Lashley v. Brock Lesnar would be an interesting one to say the least.

ImageImage

scamrock
PostPosted: Dec 17 2008 01:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DoctorOrpheus wrote:
Though I think Bobby Lashley v. Brock Lesnar would be an interesting one to say the least.

I'll go ahead and second that if for no other reason than they both are accomplished collegiate wrestlers and are both probably still pretty unexperienced in other forms of combat (except guns, Lashley was in the army). A lot of the time, wrestlers get shit on by fans and some analysts as if wrestling isn't good enough.

nihilisticglee
PostPosted: Dec 19 2008 01:04 am Reply with quote Back to top

It is hard to tell how good Lashley is from that match. The only skills that were even remotely tested were his striking skills, and it looked like Joshua had the strength to go longer, but just had a cut that would blind him. All and all, I will be keeping my eyes on Lashley, solely because he can have Kimbo's aura, but he may have some skills to back it up.
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Dec 19 2008 08:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Black Lesnar is now MMA too? Surprised

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

King
Title: CTE
PostPosted: Dec 19 2008 01:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I think it would be interesting. I give credit as well because as wrestlers, though it doesn't give you a good background for striking, it does give you a great foundation for your ground game, and then ultimately your jutjitsu and submissions.

scamrock
PostPosted: Dec 19 2008 02:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

King wrote:
I think it would be interesting. I give credit as well because as wrestlers, though it doesn't give you a good background for striking, it does give you a great foundation for your ground game, and then ultimately your jutjitsu and submissions.

This is how I feel too. But wrestlers are always getting shit on.

scamrock
PostPosted: Dec 22 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is an old interview, but I hadn't seen it until tonight. Lashley had a lot of positive things to say about Brock Lesnar and about MMA in general. He doesn't seem to have an ego problem and seems like a good guy. It'll be fun to watch his career.

Reply to topic

Jump to: