SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
R.I.P. MachoMan

Reply to topic
Doddsino
PostPosted: May 21 2011 07:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

And let's not also forget that Lawler was a pretty damn good commentator (arguably the best wrestler turned color man) , who only filled that role when Savage walked. Don't get me wrong, Lawler was still a pretty good wrestling personality, but Savage could fill that role much better, and Lawler could fill the commentator role better.
uncle joe
PostPosted: May 21 2011 07:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

but lawler is a better wrestler than savage, but i get your point on age. lawler is such a personality, but it feels like his stuff is built for the south crowds, which makes sense.

i have an aunt i dont speak to to this day because she threw away my Griffey jr rookie card. fucking bitch may you rot in hell.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: May 21 2011 07:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Lawler is a great color commentator, and a great heel, largely because he's good on the mic. Lawler is not a great wrestler though, which is kind of unfortunate.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
uncle joe
PostPosted: May 21 2011 07:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

no way syd, Lawler is in the short (ok well medium) list of greatest dudes to ever lace up the boots. hell, he throws better punches than anyone on the roster. lawler was so great on the mic when they let him go do what he wanted

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 21 2011 08:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I love Lawler on the mic. Absolutely. As a wrestler, I don't know. I certainly appreciate everything he did for the sport. His feud with Andy Kaufman was one of the greatest kayfabe moments in wrestling history. But as wrestler, I don't know. I haven't seen much of his pre-WWF stuff, but by the time he entered the WWF, he was not especially fun to watch in the ring. And I think that's why they made him a heel. You don't need to be a great wrestler to be a great heel.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
uncle joe
PostPosted: May 21 2011 08:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

whats crazy is he is 2x better as a face. His hulking up routine is fantastic.

i wish that i would get to see savage smack HBK and teach him how to do a proper elbow drop. shit, shane mcmahons elbow was better

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 21 2011 08:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

uncle joe wrote:
he throws better punches than anyone on the roster

No way. Maybe back in the 80's when he didn't pull them, but now...they're terrible. His fist drop off the top rope is one of the worst things I have to continually endure as long as he's feuding with someone. He was great back in the day, no doubt, but he wasn't 1/10 of what he used to be, even back in the 90's he wasn't great.

As far as the best elbow ever? Perry fuckin' Saturn...amazing stuff.
uncle joe
PostPosted: May 21 2011 08:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

cmon Dods, lawler still throws great punches. i dunno who on the roster throws better ones

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 21 2011 08:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Orton's punches are much better. Lawler puts too much emphasis on holding the punch, and when he connects he slows down. Angle also had some intense punches.
uncle joe
PostPosted: May 21 2011 08:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ortons punches are terrible dude. Same as his short arm clotheslines.

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 21 2011 08:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well I like them..
uncle joe
PostPosted: May 21 2011 08:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

oh if you like them thats one thing alltogether. I will never begrudge anyone for who they like, be it HBK or Angle or Jericho; I like crap too, seeing as how I love Carlito and Kane. But I think its good to be able to put aside the mark and admit "hey, hbk kinda sucked donkey balls".

Angle is a case of a dude who I despise because he has all the physical tools to be fucking awesome but he doesnt have the mind of a good pro wrestler or has the wrong idea of what pro wrestling is.

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 21 2011 08:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't understand your hatred of Michaels, unless you're one of those hardcore Hitman fans. The only match of his I legitimately hated was the match with Martel where they weren't able to punch each other in the face.

I don't "get" what you mean by wrong idea of a professional wrestler, unless you're referring to the nonsense storyline he's doing in TNA over custody.
uncle joe
PostPosted: May 21 2011 09:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I dont hate HBK, I just dont see a case for him being good. His best attribute was pinballing, but that can take you only so far. shitty punches, selfish cartoony selling, shitty chops, lame match layout, especially his elbow drop spot. shitty elbow drop.

And when someone beat hbk, it never felt like a big deal unless it was for the title, and thats more about the title than anything. thats my biggest complaint. he should have also let someone (punk, cena, miz, mcintyire) retire his ass. he knwos the business well enough that thats what you do. and not to come back and super kick and sort of bury one of the companys future top stars (del rio)

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 21 2011 09:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dude...I don't know what you're taking about! Match layout? Shawn had some of the best matches that helped push a story to it's limit. And no fucking way should Miz or McIntyre retire him, let alone anyone from that list, because no one would buy it. Also, in the end, Vince makes that call. As far as pinballing? I'd rather have a guy like Shawn sell for me, over a guy like Hercules.
JRA
PostPosted: May 21 2011 09:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A couple of things

1) Shawn Michaels is an awesome wrestler. And this is from someone who thought his overselling of Hogan's match was the gayest thing ever (Hogan will always be a bigger a draw than you and you aren't a rising star, there for you lose. Deal with it).

2) Maybe the reason Vince wanted Savage as a commentator is because he'd turn every commentation into a promo. That's kind of a bad idea, because Savage's talking style for that would get old and annoying really fast. It would be like Gilbert Godfreid doing commentary. It would seem funny and cool at first, but it would get irritating really quick.

3) Speaking of commentators, I'd like to say that one of the worst things in wrestling is the heel commentator. "Lulz I'm gonna shamelessly root for the bad guys and make dishonest cheap remarks about the good guy" Fuck you and die in a fire. That shit is gay as all hell. Lawler was no exception to this rule. And every time he got giddy over a half naked chick I wanted to clobber him with a golf driver. It's like listening to the MC at a strip club narrate while the chick gets naked. Bobby Heenan, Lawler, Cole, fuck em all. Just a bad, bad idea. The only person who made this style manageable was Jesse Ventura, and that's because he was subtle about it.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 21 2011 09:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Heenan was great, as was Ventura. I don't think Heenan was the end all greatest commentator, since he did have his bad moments. Cole on the other hand, has become unbearable, and now allows his feuds to transcend what's going on in the ring, that's a major flaw.
uncle joe
PostPosted: May 22 2011 08:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

When you sell, youre supposed to be putting the other guy over, not draw attention to yourself, which HBK does.

Also, are you high dude, heenan was great

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 22 2011 08:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Heenan was the best.

"That's not fair to Flair!"

Michael Cole is awful though. WWE should bring in Tony Schiavone to replace him.
uncle joe
PostPosted: May 22 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

I think Schiovane is blacklisted, cant remember why.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 22 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Him and Vince should be best buddies! It was his sarcastic comments about Foley's pretaped title win that began the WWF's return to the top of the ratings war.
Doddsino
PostPosted: May 22 2011 01:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A LOT of people give Schiavone crap, simply because of how awful WCW could be at times. The thing was, the commentators reacted accordingly because they weren't prompted to know anything in advance, so in order to cover up stupid crap, sometimes you had to say stupid crap. Even the great Bobby Heenan wasn't that good in WCW. I agree with Schiavone being brought back, I really liked the guy.
JRA
PostPosted: May 22 2011 03:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

uncle joe wrote:
When you sell, youre supposed to be putting the other guy over, not draw attention to yourself, which HBK does.

Also, are you high dude, heenan was great

Heenan was awesome when he was a manager no doubt. But as a commentator? No... just no.

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: May 22 2011 06:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
Even the great Bobby Heenan wasn't that good in WCW.

He could be, but he wasn't always on. Mick Foley actually chose not to re-sign with WCW because he felt Heenan's commentary during one of his matches lacked insight and attention to detail.

But Heenan also unwittingly helped get Brian Pillman over by freaking the fuck out when Pillman touched him.
Doddsino
PostPosted: May 22 2011 07:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, that was a a funny moment.

"The fuck are you doin'?"
Reply to topic

Jump to: