"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Bullshit NES Game Endings

Reply to topic
Char Aznable
Title: Char Classic™
PostPosted: Aug 17 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

7 and 8 were below the standards set by the NES games, and therefore substandard.

jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Aug 18 2008 01:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, except...they weren't.
ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Aug 18 2008 02:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cam-win wrote:
Nice article, Syd! But where is Rygar? After all that time trying to beat the game without being able to save, it had to be one of the most underwhelming endings I've ever seen.

I think Dragon Warrior had a saving battery in it, if you go to the inns or the king and rest you can shut off the NES and start up later. If this is true though, why the hell weren't more NES games made with this feature.

When i saw the ending for MM6 for the first time, i shouted:

"Well it's about freaking time!!!" and then i heard about 7 and said "WTF"

But yah, most NES games had crappy ending, especially Wurm: Journey to the center of shit, when i found out how half-ass the ending was, i'm glad i quite the game when i did.

ImageImageImage
Links, pics, vids . . . I shall post these when given the chance
Transformers 2 Review: ". . . Did i mention SHIT BLOWS UP?!!!"

ReeperTheSeeker
PostPosted: Aug 18 2008 02:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

ReeperTheSeeker wrote:
Cam-win wrote:
Nice article, Syd! But where is Rygar? After all that time trying to beat the game without being able to save, it had to be one of the most underwhelming endings I've ever seen.

I think Dragon Warrior had a saving battery in it, if you go to the inns or the king and rest you can shut off the NES and start up later. If this is true though, why the hell weren't more NES games made with this feature.

When i saw the ending for MM6 for the first time, i shouted:

"Well it's about freaking time!!!" and then i heard about 7 and said "WTF"

But yah, most NES games had crappy ending, especially Wurm: Journey to the center of shit, when i found out how half-ass the ending was, i'm glad i quite the game when i did.

And awesome article syd.

ImageImageImage
Links, pics, vids . . . I shall post these when given the chance
Transformers 2 Review: ". . . Did i mention SHIT BLOWS UP?!!!"

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Aug 23 2008 01:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I was thinking...how do you get "8" contributions from Toad? I've never actually played SMB2 this way, but isn't the fastest way?

1-1, 1-2, 1-3 warp (3)
4-1, 4-2 warp (2)
7-1, 7-2 (2)

...making 7 choices. Am I screwing things up in my math?
jprime
Title: Ex-GameWinners
PostPosted: Aug 23 2008 04:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, the World 4 warp leads to World 6; it's the World 5 warp that leads to World 7. And the number refers to goals reached; warps don't count. So it'd go more like:

World 1-1 (Goal 1)
Warld 1-2 (Goal 2)
World 1-3 (Warp)
World 4-1 (Goal 3)
World 4-2 (Warp)
World 6-1 (Goal 4)
World 6-2 (Goal 5)
World 6-3 (Goal 6)
World 7-1 (Goal 7)
World 7-2 (Goal 8)
uncle joe
PostPosted: Aug 26 2008 09:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Mega Man is substandard. There.

Cameron
Title: :O � O:
PostPosted: Aug 26 2008 09:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

uncle joe wrote:
Mega Man is substandard. There.

Only 6-8, in my opinion.

Jaguar
Title: Armed to the teeth
PostPosted: Aug 29 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It was a fairly interesting article, but I'm not happy with the way you said "autistic". I might be overreacting a bit, but not all autistic people are crazy-ass retards; there are several people on the spectrum that are high-functioning (or, in other words, smart).

If you want to make fun of Yo Noid's nonsensical ending, just use the word "retarded" like everyone else. It is insanely more accurate, and less offensive to boot.

On another note, I had no idea the TMNT game had such a retarded ending. What the hell was Konami smoking when this game was being made?
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Aug 30 2008 09:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's no-win situation. The word "retarded" is considered inherently offensive in and of itself and there are also many developmentally stunted people who have high function levels. And I actually intentionally used it instead of "retarded" because I use the former way too much; I wanted to vary up my word choice.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
ged1928
Title: A new hope
PostPosted: Aug 31 2008 08:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jaguar wrote:
It was a fairly interesting article, but I'm not happy with the way you said "autistic". I might be overreacting a bit, but not all autistic people are crazy-ass retards; there are several people on the spectrum that are high-functioning (or, in other words, smart).

If you want to make fun of Yo Noid's nonsensical ending, just use the word "retarded" like everyone else. It is insanely more accurate, and less offensive to boot.

On another note, I had no idea the TMNT game had such a retarded ending. What the hell was Konami smoking when this game was being made?

I think you couldn't be more wrong about retarded somehow being less offensive than autistic. I think autistic was accurately used, albeit mildly politically incorrect, but calling something retarded is as ignorant as calling something gay. Autistic is a general term for anything that is stunted in some manner, for the record. I don't need to make a big deal out of it, but if you don't think retarded is a word to take seriously than you must not be close to anyone who is mentally retarded.

As a postscript, I don't mind when people use ignorant terms when real descriptors are a viable possibility; it just sets a general tone about a person's personality and
general knowledge.

Edit: This isn't a thinly veiled dig at anyone in this site, especially not Syd and his articles.
JRA
PostPosted: Sep 20 2008 02:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Last night at Gamer's Guild I was showing some of the people there this article. We got to SMB 3 and someone said, "that was only in the American version."

Fuck Japan

There are a lot of what if's in life Donny. What if I hit you really hard in the face, knocked yo shit to the back of yo skull? What if I....had you girl gargle my nuts? The fact remains, you are a fuckin mutant.

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 20 2008 02:51 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I think Bomberman mentioned that.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Reply to topic

Jump to: