SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
NBA Basketball Discussion

Reply to topic
Doddsino
PostPosted: Nov 22 2009 05:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Haha...jeez Knyte...way to leave us hanging.

Maybe this will be better come April/May when the playoffs happen.
Doddsino
PostPosted: Apr 30 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
Maybe this will be better come April/May when the playoffs happen.

I guess I was wrong...but there's been a pretty intense game going in OKC. I'd love to see the Thunder take out the Lakers, but I know that's VERY wishful thinking. If OKC didn't live and die by the 3 pointers, this game would be much better considering they're already getting the calls.

*edit* Lakers win...again...so we'll be seeing the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Cavs.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Always nice to see something new out of the NBA.
username
Title: owner of a lonely heart
PostPosted: May 03 2010 04:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

im ok w/the Lakers winning it all again Razz

Klimbatize wrote:
I'll eat a turkey sandwich while blowing my load

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 03 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, because it's something we haven't seen so many times before.

I'm never for charity in sports, but goddamn has the NBA been so generic since the early 90's.

I would like just once...someone who isn't hyped by ESPN to win it all...not named the Spurs.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
Title: 2011 Picnic/Death Champ
PostPosted: May 03 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Celtics and Heat have won in the last four years.

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 03 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Celtics weren't special to watch at all, and I used to be a big Garnett fan. I grew up with a dad who was a HUGE Larry Bird fan (actually lived one town over from where Larry grew up) so I had enough of the Celtics by the time I was 6.

And the Heat were represented by two people who I'll always think Lakers when I see them; Shaq and Pat Reily. Sure, it was a new team winning, but the controversy surrounding how Reily got that position and the massive BJ that ESPN gave to Wade for that past 18 months just put me off. I know I'm stretching it, but really...there wasn't really anything interesting happening here, the one thing that this will be most remembered for is how badly Dallas blew it, and how badly they've blown it since then.

Since I was born, there have been only 7 teams to win:

Lakers
Celtics
Pistons
Bulls
Rockets
Spurs
Heat

The NFL has given us 14 different teams and MLB has given us 16 different champions in the same time span.

Maybe it's just how the game is played but the playoffs in any other sport is WAY more exciting because it seems like anything can happen. When it comes to NBA, I'm usually never surprised when an underdog team is playing good because it always ends with them getting squashed...unless they're playing Dallas. Laughing

I've come to expect the same teams to win every single year and when it's expected, then it's not interesting, at least not to me. Kobe Bryant is an amazing guy, one of the best I've ever seen, but even I get sick of seeing him. Hell, I tore down my Jordan poster when he came back from retirement in 1994 and that's saying something when he went from hero to nusiance overnight.
Doddsino
PostPosted: May 09 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well...I gotta say, I'm a little happy for the Phoenix Suns right now. Not only did they get the Spurs off their back, they beat them in a clean sweep. I didn't expect much out of Phoenix and that's bad on my end. I'm very happy to see them in the Western Conference Finals, however I'm very worried to see the match up with LA. Nonetheless, I'm very proud of Nash, Stoudemire, Hill and company. I just wish this came back in 2007...when it would've meant a whole lot more.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: May 09 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I'm a Suns fan as well. I'm not confident against L.A. for obvious reasons, but i'm psyched they got this far. Successful season, indeed.

Dodds, how are you a Suns fan? Aren't you in Iowa or something?

Pretty much the greatest thread of all time: http://www.sydlexia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14789

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 09 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Location has nothing to do with how I associate myself as a fan. Granted, I'm not a lifetime fan (however they've always been top 3 favorites over the course) but I've been supporting them namely due to Steve Nash, however I've always liked Amare and Grant Hill, who I always felt was screwed over by his ankle, it would be nice if at least Hill could be on top for just one year.

As far as the breakdown goes, I've been a fan:

Bulls (89-92) I was too young to really care about basketball THAT much, Jordan was the game and everyone liked him. Looking back, I never really consider myself THAT much of a fan, but it would be unfair to mention this, because Jordan did get me into the game.

Suns (92-95/96) When I started respecting the game, intially introduced to Barkley through the "Can I play?" commercials, I really enjoyed the attitude he brought to the game. I still wasn't the hardcore fan that I am now, so it was easy to see them lose to the Bulls in the finals, however looking back...it would've been nice to see Barkley win one.

Pacers (95/96-01) This is when it became tough, I still enjoyed the Suns, however I started really following the Pacers, and after getting Bird as a head coach, I really got behind them. I don't like to think I quit the Suns because I still liked them, but when Barkley left to go to the Rockets (HUGE mistake), I kinda brushed them aside. Miller's 3 pointer on Jordan during the Eastern Conference Finals STILL remains my greatest basketball memory ever. It's really a shame they lost that series.

Mavs (01-04) The Pacers started to make some major changes as far as the way they played, they weren't as interesting, granted I still loved Miller (I actually teared up when he retired) but the Mavs were playing a much more exciting game. The game they were playing was orchestrated by Steve Nash, who I really became a fan of. I liked the whole Dallas team, but I saw how underrated Nash was, and was majorly dissapointed when Nash left, but looking back...it was a good move.

Suns (04-?-present) When Nash left Dallas, I sort of did too. I mean I still liked Dirk and company, but I was a much bigger Nash fan. He made an immediate impact in Phoenix and became a much better player. Shawn Marion was also very interesting to watch (I'm absolutely amazed to this day they let him go because both sides REALLY missed out). As far as the "?", I sort of was annoyed by basketball for a short time, I mean I continued to watch, but adding Shaq to the Suns was disapointing, I have NO IDEA what Kerr was thinking with that one because it made them a lot worse, thankfully they dumped his ass this year which was nice since I was in limbo. Also Kerr was wanting to get rid of Amare...I mean...what the fuck dude? Amare is a STAR player and he WANTS to be there, so why not just pay him what he's worth? Amare knows he won't do as well anywhere else, but would probably sign with another team is the price is right, so goddammit Kerr, don't trade him next season.

I know it may come off that I'm a flip flopper, but I assure you, I'm not. A lot of the switches came at times of transitions for a lot of teams. I'll say I've never been a bigger fan of basketball than I have been in the last 9 years.
Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: May 10 2010 04:28 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ah OK. No big deal to me if you change favorite teams. I just can't do that myself. Once I latch on to a team in a particular sport, I stick with them. Loved the Suns since birth (born in Tucson), and have been suffering with them for years. Barkley gave me hope, but came up short. Like I said, I already consider 2010 a success, but wouldn't it be fucking awesome if they somehow beat the Lakers?

username
PostPosted: May 10 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

bring on the suns.

born in LA. lived there for about 8 years then moved to AZ (tucson, now phoenix) and been a fan of the lake show ever since i was a wee lad.

Klimbatize wrote:

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 10 2010 01:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It would be awesome if they did beat the Lakers but I'm not counting on it.

Even so, the league has changed so much that I cannot possibly see Phoenix matching up with anyone in the East, although Orlando/Phoenix would be cool to see. Those are the only 2 teams at this point I could bear to watch win, because I've seen SO much Lakers/Celtics/Cavs coverage that it's just killing my love of the game. And I know those are the big markets, however that's only because the NBA sucks like that.

Also Jazz deserve to lose their series. I don't know how many times I've seen a team, down 1 POINT and not drive to the lane in the last seconds, Lakers WOULD NOT want to draw the foul so you have a great chance of winning, but instead you take a long 2? Fucking stupid.

I just don't want it to be LeBron/Kobe....I hate those fucking puppets.
Ermac
Title: Thread Killer
PostPosted: May 11 2010 09:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:

I just don't want it to be LeBron/Kobe....I hate those fucking puppets.

I think the Lakers will beat the Suns because Kobe will embarass J-Rich and Gasol will probably outplay Amare. If Nash can play spectacular they have a good chance of pushing it to 7 games

The Celtics might push Lebron to NYC this offseason as Rondo has played insane.
Doddsino
PostPosted: May 11 2010 02:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

You know what I really hate about Rondo? He wears his fucking headband upside down. Sure it might be a petty thing to hate him for, but I don't care.
username
PostPosted: May 11 2010 04:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
You know what I really hate about Rondo? He wears his fucking headband upside down. Sure it might be a petty thing to hate him for, but I don't care.

he gets on my nerves as well. and he talked shit about chris paul, so fuck him

Klimbatize wrote:

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 11 2010 09:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not a big fan of Chris Paul either, but at least I respect him. Rondo just comes off as dirty at times.

At this point, I really want to see the Celtics out of it.
username
PostPosted: May 11 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

im a huge chris paul fan. best point guard in the NBA imo. granted, deron williams is up there as well, but chris paul is just so amazing to watch play.

Klimbatize wrote:

Ermac
PostPosted: May 11 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
im a huge chris paul fan. best point guard in the NBA imo. granted, deron williams is up there as well, but chris paul is just so amazing to watch play.

I am a big Chris Paul fan as well, The Hornets are stuck with alot of overpaid scrubs so they might have to get creative in order to build around him. They got lucky with their rookies this season but they need more help in order to compete in the tough West.

As for Rondo he is part of that Boston Bully culture instigated by Garnett. I think its pretty stupid but it does seem to psych some teams out.
Ermac
PostPosted: May 13 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Lebron knocked out by Boston

username
PostPosted: May 14 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

i like lebron, but someone had to lose. good job on the celtics. i'd like to see the rematch w/the celtics & lakers

Klimbatize wrote:

Doddsino
PostPosted: May 14 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't...that shit is boring. Of course asking for Magic/Suns is asking WAAAAAAY too much.
username
PostPosted: May 14 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Doddsino wrote:
I wouldn't...that shit is boring. Of course asking for Magic/Suns is asking WAAAAAAY too much.

magic would destroy the suns imo

i guess since im a laker fan, i get more excitement out of a rematch than others would.

Klimbatize wrote:

username
PostPosted: May 18 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote Back to top

well, lakers drew first blood. badly. but it is game 1, and although the first game usually dictates the rest of the series, we have to wait until game 2 to see if the SUNS show up or if it will be another See U Next Season

Klimbatize wrote:

Klimbatize
2010 NES Champ
PostPosted: May 18 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

It doesn't mean much when the home team wins Game 1. Though I do expect the Lakers to win the series, I think the Suns can stretch it to 6 games.

Ermac
PostPosted: May 18 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote Back to top

username wrote:
well, lakers drew first blood. badly. but it is game 1, and although the first game usually dictates the rest of the series, we have to wait until game 2 to see if the SUNS show up or if it will be another See U Next Season

I saw the game and the suns had good execution at times but then appeared afraid of the Lakers at others. It was also Robin Lopez's first game back

I think the Suns will get things going by game 3
Reply to topic

Jump to: