[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Recruitment for article. (MTG related)

Reply to topic
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
Title: Curator Of The VGM
PostPosted: Sep 07 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I am preparing another article for my VGM site, and would like assistance from the MTG players here.

For anyone who wishes to contribute, I simply need you to post your top ten favorite MTG cards of all time. Please explain why the card is your favorite. It doesn't have to be the most powerful cards, or the most expensive, just the ones that are YOUR personal favorites. Maybe you love the mechanic of the card, or simply the flavor of it. Any reason at all.

Thanks gang!
@om*d
Title: Dorakyura
PostPosted: Sep 07 2011 01:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here are mine, Knyte.

1 - Isochron Scepter - being able to put a Counterspell, Boomerang, Lightning Bolt or other card that costs two mana or less is awesome, and I still use this card a lot in multiplayer games.

2 - Sneak Attack - Being able to put a creature card from your hand into play and being able to use it’s ability or attack immediately for four mana meant that I could get some huge creatures out early on in a game to end things quickly. Had a lot of fun with this card in tournament play.

3 - Eye for an Eye - This card saved me in many games over the years.

4 - Sol Ring - The artwork is simple yet memorable and the usefulness of this card makes it one of my favorites.

5 - Jokulhaups - The Ice Age artwork is one of my favorites, and I love the destructive power of this card. A trusty old friend that still makes appearances.

6 - Yawgmoth’s Will - Playing cards from your graveyard until end of turn was awesome at the time and the price was right. I still use it to this day.

7 - Cranial Plating - Using this card in an artifact deck back with a Ferropede or Ornithopter back when Mirrodin came out upset many people who had spent far more on their decks. I still have an artifact deck that uses this card when all other decks fail.

8 - Shivan Dragon - The original Melissa Benson artwork for the Shivan Dragon is what made me start playing MTG in the first place. Being 8 or 9 years old and looking at that card is a fond memory.

9 - Time Walk - This was the first rare card I ever owned in MTG and I still have my original to this day. It is also a really great card.

10 - Clone - One of my favorite creatures of all time, great in multiplayer games.

Slayer1
Title: ,,!,, for you know who
PostPosted: Sep 07 2011 02:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

well it's been a while since I've dealt with MTG but I do remember some of my favorites cards.

1: Krosan Colossus: Big old monster I would put in my forest deck full of elves that would be able to be used for Mana. Get him out and I had a couple unstoppable moments.

2: Blanchewood Armor: This came in handy for me on a couple occasions. Either slap it on a weak monster for a boost in defense or give it to an already beefed up monster and use it for offense.

3: Kahmal Fist of Krosa: I traded some lands (no guff) just to get this guy, only because his story was pretty good.

4: Demonic Tutor: One of my brothers cards, nice little thing to have if I wanted to get a monster out that I needed

5: Wheel of Fortune: No I didn't have the super rare one, I had the 3rd edition Wheel of Fortune. Swapped out both players hands and gave seven more, so any plan that either player had going is a complete wash.

6: Glasses of Urza: Allowed me to see what the other player(s) had and from there could help me decide what I wanted to do or if it was a lost cause.

7: Mishra's Helix: Pretty much the dick card I'd use. Oh you have three lands out? well I'm tapping them all!

8: Birds of Paradise: Nice little defense monster to have.

9: Wall of Swords: Pretty much I enjoy the concept of a bunch of monsters running into a wall full of sharp objects... like swords!

10: Lava Axe: The art from the card that I had always humored me. A guy throwing an axe of lava at someone HA!
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Sep 08 2011 09:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks guys!

I need more!

I would really like Syd and Jeebus to make lists, as they are both long term Magic players, and Jeebs is quite the expert.
Lady_Satine
Title: Head of Lexian R&D
PostPosted: Sep 08 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Out of curiosity are you asking for one on one for multiplayer?

10 Foil. Why would I list such a bad pitch counterspell? No other reason than the only one I ever had happened to have the foil treatment; i.e a foil Foil.
9 Krark's Thumb. I like coin flip effects.
8 Radiant, Archangel. The first time I ever tried to make a deck with a dedicated theme after the Pestilence deck I think everyone tried at one time or another.
7 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas. I've enjoyed this guy ever since I got him in a draft and had insane luck getting him on most matches.
6 Deranged Hermit. Great for squirrel decks as well as certain lockdown strategies like with Opposition.
5 Promise of Power. I managed to severely beat an opponent thanks to his Underworld Dreams with this card (granted, I had a Farsight Mask out).
4 Alluren. Free creatures if I play weenies? Yes please. The only drawbacks being it works on everyone and you quickly enter topdeck mode.
3 Skullclamp. Nothing more needs to be said.
2 Debtors' Knell. Another reanimation card, and one that works on every upkeep.
1 Living Death. A board sweeper plus reanimation-one of my favorite play styles? I love this card and was overjoyed at its inclusion with the Commander decks.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Sep 08 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I play pretty much exclusively multiplayer, EDH, and draft/sealed, and my favorite cards all come from the multiplayer side of that, because being good in draft/sealed doesn't really mean anything. I mean, yeah, I'll draft Incinerate right away if I see it, but that doesn't make it one of my favorite cards, that just makes it useful.

I can't be bothered to attempt to order these:

Gamble - It's a single mana tutor where the card you pick is (hopefully) not revealed until you cast it. Its extremely low cost makes it good at any stage of a game, and as long as you have a high card count in your hand (which you always should in multiplayer), the chances of losing the card you selected are reasonably low.

Phyrexian Metamorph - I've always been in a big fan of cards like Clone, Copy Artifact, and Sculpting Steel. Metamorph can be either a Clone OR Sculpting Steel, and it can go in ANY deck... except an EDH deck that doesn't play blue.

Constant Mists - In my opinion, the single greatest Fog card ever printed. It's cheap, reusable and abusable.

Gaea's Blessing - I hate being milled out. I also hate short multiplayer games. If I a multiplayer game ends in less than 20 full table cycles, I'm pissed off. I also love infinite recursion, and this was the first card to make infinite recursion fun and easy to execute. I get anxious and grumpy when too many of my important cards are in the graveyard, and Gaea's Blessing made it so I (mostly) never had to worry about that again.

False Cure - I fucking hate when people try and pull off massive life gain swings in their favorite. Beacon of Immortality? Consume Spirit for way too much? Fuck you, you're dead.

Fork - In multiplayer, there will always at least one opportunity to do something awesome with this card. At its worst, it's an answer for a counterspell.

Living Death - I am a huge fan of cards that completely shift both momentum and board position in a game. Even when Living Death isn't simply a matter of "You lose all your best creatures, I get all mine back", it very rarely makes a bad situation worse. And it's a great political card in multiplayer.

Insurrection - In a multiplayer game, this card might as well just read "You win". No matter how dire your situation is in an EHD game, as long as you have 5RRR available, you're still in the game. Come on, awesome topdeck.

Reigns of Power - While not as savage as Insurrection, it's more versatile. If your board position is non-existent, you can steal someone's attackers and beat them to death with their own army. Or you can swicth armies with someone and beatdown a third party. Or you can steal some better blockers and potentially screw over two other players at once. Or, it can even by used as a Fog, by stealing someone's attackers after they've been declared. It's simply amazing.

Wheel of Fortune - I am not going to explain why Wheel of Fortune is awesome. It just is.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Sep 08 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I will not be ordering these, and my answer is always subject to change. But here's 10 of my favorites.

Sakashima the Imposter - The ability to copy legends, as well as the ability to change what it is you are copying, make him easily my favorite copy card.

Warp World - The only "fuck with the game for the sake of fucking with the game" that's worth playing, that doesn't completely piss off everyone at the table, and can actually be exploited with the right deck. Almost always a lot of fun.

Boggart Shenanigans - I really liked the Lorwyn take on the Goblins, and this card fits right in - it doesn't look like it does much, but it is deceptively powerful, particularly with the Boggart's knack of dying. Plus, it's a Goblin...I've won more than one game by sending it into a Goblin Grenade

Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund - He makes for one heck of a surprise beatstick, and in EDH (where dragons he can take are pretty common), he's a 3 turn clock.

Oblivion Ring - It eliminates problems.

Liliana Vess - It does everything you could want - keep their hand empty, search up the one card you need right now, and win the game. Not the best Planeswalker, but probably my favorite.

Greatbow Doyen - A surprisingly strong Lord...a bit too expensive, and there really are not a lot of good Archers out there, but this guy? He's pretty nasty.

Ladies Knight - Probably the funniest Un-card.

Hex - Not strong, no. But everything about this card is just perfect. The name, the cost, the flavor text...

Lightning Bolt - Quite possibly the only card that it is never correct to leave out of your deck if you're playing a deck of the appropriate color in a format where it is legal.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sep 09 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
the Pestilence deck I think everyone tried at one time

I STILL have a Pestilence deck. And it's won six player games. The heart of the deck is:

Pestilence
Auriok Champion
Crusading Knight
Darkest Night
Urborg

And then there's fixing and whatnot.

Granted, the deck usually wins with the Knight/Night/Urborg combo, but Pestilence never hurts when it's out. There's also a single Karma in the deck too, just for laughs.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Sep 09 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

I still have one. I use either shrouded Hedron-Field Purists or shrouded Vigor as the catalyst. Fun times.
Ghandi
Title: Alexz Aficionado
PostPosted: Sep 09 2011 03:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Top 10 of all time is going to be hard. I like quirky cards most of the time, but this list may not reflect that. in my deck designing career I think I've hit both ends of the scale. Tournaments and casual. Sometimes the most efficient card isn't the best fit for the deck. When you need a card to do a specific thing you'll run into interesting cards to fill those gaps. Stuff you would have never thought of before, or maybe didn't even know about until you starting looking.

Time Twister - The only piece of the Power 9 I've ever owned. Owned it twice. I used it to create an infinite library. It's rarely a card you don't want to see(there are times it completely sucks to draw), but it's pulled it's weight in so many games it gets a spot.

True Believer - An Ivory Mask reprint from Legions I think. "So strong were his beliefs that mere facts cannot shake it." Awesome flavor text and flavorful too, shielding his "God" from effects. Always fun to play.

Peace Keeper - There's a lot of fun in taking away the attack phase. This little guy from Visions(EDIT: Weatherlight) is hilarious at times. As long as you can protect him the world will be free from war, and isn't that what everyone wants? Sure, you need to pay him every turn, but no one said peace was free.

Herkyl's Recall - The card's flavor text is an example of how recorded history isn't always correct. I'm a huge fan of the Bounce mechanic. If sometimes just to see how many times my opponent will cast the same spell. A creature that's perpetually sick isn't really there is it? I play a lot of artifact decks too where this card can be abused to the point of broken with the right supporting cards.

Shahrazad - White direct damage, just very slow direct damage. This has been played against me more times than I can count, and sometimes I think the only motive was for my opponent to shuffle his deck(my friends are weird like me). This card brings out deck qualities you may not know are there, until you have to play with a random 27 card cross section of your deck in a sub game. The sub game is what is loved and hated about this card. I don't mind the sub game. The sub game has turned the tide of the main game for me before.

Swords to Plowshares - The spirit of this card is awesome. Full of flavor, decently powerful, and the art is good too. I like the visual it creates. Shivan Dragon? Go be a farmer. I always use 4 in any deck that it's legal to have them. It really says "White" to me, along with my next favorite.

Wrath of God - God is angry. God will start the world over from scratch. I've moved away from creature heavy decks as I played longer, but it's never a bad card to use even if you are creature heavy, just got to weigh the variables on when you'll want to cast it. This card is like the "Judgement Day" card and encompasses White for me more than any other. This card feels more powerful in multiplayer too, which God smites down all the creatures of four or more players. Wrath indeed.

Memory Lapse - "Um, oh... what was I saying?" I find this card funny. It also creates a visual in my head that is hard not to smile on. Maybe think of Ash in Army of Darkness. "Klaatu, barada... nickle... nike... ugh...." "Well, I didn't say every word exactly!". It's secondary mechanic of putting the card on top of it's owner's library, at one time not sure if it still does, allowed it to counter "uncounterable" spells too. Well, "counter" is also a stretch since it more delays. Memory return apparently. I usually only use straight counters. The usual suspects, like Counterspell, Arcane Denial, etc, but there are reasons for why you don't want to counter something. Or just not see that threat right now. The spell could be perfectly ok for them to cast--next turn. It's a fun card, and can be annoying to you to draw sometimes or the person it's being played against, but if it's in your deck, it's got a reason.

Storm Cauldron - I like resource management that doesn't exactly kill the resources. Land Destruction is boring and much more mana intensive. This card can punish decks not running alternate mana sources. That's the obvious use. Another use is simply to fill your opponent's hand up. Sure it's all Land and he can play 2, but they'll feel it's effect after awhile. It works better if you combine it with cards that change their hand, like Teferi's Puzzle Box. They'll think twice about returning their only Mountain if they don't know if they'll draw one next turn. It's a different type of resource management you force on opponent's to see how they deal with it. Punish them for their hand size. Black Vise and it's variants. Use the mana denial aspect with cards that make things cost more, Feroz's Ban comes to mind. Make them pay for things that are normally free, Propoganda, Dream Tides. The added bounce makes this card really show it's potential if you attack one or all of it's aspects. I've lost a lot of games due to a Cauldron in play I couldn't remove due to either changing hands, lack of mana, spell costs bumped up(Gloom), or something else. It does a decent job of protecting itself, but with support is amazing.

Winds of Change - This card goes well with others I've mentioned, like Storm Cauldron and Herkyl's Recall. I really like the name of this card, what it does, and that it's red. Sure Wheel is amazing to draw and will probably help you win more, but this card has flavor that one really doesn't have. It obviously combines with Underworld Dreams. Ever tried it with Prosperity? Interesting multiplayer card for that. "Everyone draw 8. Now Winds of Change." It mainly throws monkey wrenches in people's plans, or can really damage them in the right deck. I think this card is very flavorful and is a lot of fun to play. I'm tempted to every time I see it even when I know playing it will kill my momentum.

BONUS: One With Nothing - Most people saw this card and thought "Utter crap." I looked at it and thought "How can I abuse this?" Discarding your hand at instant speed is awesome. There's a lot of obvious uses for it like Madness, Reanimation, and Hellbent. Well, sometimes you just got to get under 5 cards to dodge a Vise. Maybe you need to line up your graveyard a specific way. I look at this and see potential. Most look at it and throw it away Razz

My list looks like I'm a pretty old school player Razz I think UsaSatsui would agree to that. I haven't played type 2 in years and am pretty casual now, so my likes are not bent toward efficiency and winning ASAP. Sometimes you want to play and play more, so cast Shahrazad.

Honorable Mentions: Gaea's Blessing, Regrowth, Sol Ring, Fog, Mountain Goat, Unsummon, Squee, Golbin Nabob, Crusade, Dark Ritual, Nevinyrral's Disk, Prosperity

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Sep 10 2011 03:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah Ghandi, I'd say you're a pretty old player. Old enough to forget that Peacekeeper is from Weatherlight and that its name is one word. Also, there isn't a card named Storm Cauldron (the only results I could find on gatherer were Cauldron Dance and Ice Cauldron.

"Life is a waste of time. Time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!"

Ghandi
PostPosted: Sep 10 2011 04:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

lordsathien wrote:
Yeah Ghandi, I'd say you're a pretty old player. Old enough to forget that Peacekeeper is from Weatherlight and that its name is one word. Also, there isn't a card named Storm Cauldron (the only results I could find on gatherer were Cauldron Dance and Ice Cauldron.

Storm Cauldron was reprinted in Mirrodin. Or whatever that artifact set is called. Good set. I like it. Conceded on Peace Keeper. Set aside, I think my section is valid. Smile Storm Cauldron debuted in Alliances.

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Lady_Satine
PostPosted: Sep 10 2011 06:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ghandi wrote:
lordsathien wrote:

Storm Cauldron was reprinted in Mirrodin. Or whatever that artifact set is called. Good set. I like it. Conceded on Peace Keeper. Set aside, I think my section is valid. Smile Storm Cauldron debuted in Alliances.

I stand corrected. Looks like WotC still has cards to put into gatherer. Nice card too.

UsaSatsui
Title: The White Rabbit
PostPosted: Sep 10 2011 09:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

http://magiccards.info/ai/en/179.html

It was reprinted in 6th and 7th edition. Not in Mirrodin.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
PostPosted: Sep 10 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Props on picking Storm Cauldron. I actually have a Storm Cauldron deck I use in multiplayer.

It ramps into a bunch of land, drops Cauldron, then uses Exploration and Burgeoning to keep the land count up and Lifegift and Constant Mists to keep my life up. Deck also runs Crucible of Worlds, a single Fastbond, a single Strip Mine, and a single Walk The Aeons for two different soft locks. Win conditions are Nightmare Incursion, Polluted Bonds, and Seismic Assault.
Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Sep 15 2011 01:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Props for Storm Cauldron, slops for fucking up Peacekeeper. Not only is it an awesome card, but it saw a huge legacy resurgence recently. Anyway, my list is coming now...

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Sep 15 2011 01:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, I meant to post this like a week ago, but here's my top 10 finally. I'll try to order it, but gonna be tough. If you can't tell, my favorite cards are the result of being cool and powerful, having some sort of associated feeling, having cool artwork, cool design, or a combination of any number of those.

10. Sway of the Stars - A long time ago in a land far away, one of my friends cast Timetwister. One of our other friends proceeded to shuffle his hand, graveyard, library, and PERMANENTS together, and the name Jokultwister was born. It was a joke for like 7 years, until they actually decided to print the card. Hooray!

9. Island of Wak-Wak - I've been stockpiling these for my EDH decks. It's usually not quite as good as Maze of Ith, but the creature can still take damage so sometimes it's better. Also, it's fuckiing name is WAK-WAK. What's not to love?

8. Chaos Orb - Fuck you, I'm playing with Chaos Orb. I don't care how fucking banned it is. This card has so much mystique, so much power, so much legend, and such badass Mark Tedin artwork that it's hard not to just look at it and smile. Unless someone turns on a fan and you destroy your own permanents.

7. Sundial of the Infinite - Lots of the cards I like have to do with design. I love the design of this thing, even if I only have one deck so far that really has any use for it.

6. Goblin Lore - I really wanted to put Gamble here cause it's a better card, but I marked out when I saw how cool Goblin Lore is. I love random effects, and it was great in my madness/flashback deck. There's a little Timmy in all of us.

5. Build-a-Bear (Gilder Bairn) - Strong card, fun applications, it's name sounds like a kids store (Dunno if they're a national chain, but it's a real chain out here and I named it that), and it has hilarious artwork that looks like a kid in a bear suit.

4. Killer Bees - This thing was a fucking house when I first started playing. It was the first "shade" with flying, and it had bitchin Phil Foglio artwork. I also was fortunate enough to have owned a one-of-a-kind Killer Bees misprint from a single sheet of 5th edition uncommons in which the front and back of the card were printed on the same side and the back was left blank. And now I own a Time Twister (and a little more) instead. I'm fine with that.

3. Staff of Domination - I designed this card back in 1995. Alright, it wasn't identical, but it was damn close. Like, fucking extraordinarily close. I believe I had draw a card at 4 mana using Jayemdae Tome as my baseline, the gain a life also could prevent a damage to a creature or player, and no idea what 5 mana would've been. But yeah, I designed the fucking thing so of course I'm gonna love this card.

2. Knight of the Reliquary - My jaw practically dropped to the floor when I read this thing. In my set review before the set was released I went on and on about how powerful this card was, how elegant the design is and how it was gonna be one of the most expensive cards in the set. It sat at $3 for about a year, but I was finally vindicated when it's price shot up, and it's proved to be a card that will always see play. Anyway, I don't love it cause it's powerful, I love it because I wish I designed it.

1. Serra Avatar - Even though this thing is far outclassed by more recent creatures, this thing has always been my favorite card. It's just an enormous, vanilla creature, but it's extremely powerful and very elegantly designed. There's something very special feeling about it. Maybe because it reminds me of 1996 World Champion, maybe just because it's awesome. I would suck a dude off in an alley to get my hands on one of the textless foil Serra Avatar test prints, but sadly the only one I ever saw for sale was for $5000 which is somewhere between 2.5 and 5 times what it's worth, so no dice.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

Ghandi
PostPosted: Sep 19 2011 09:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Will you let us know when the article is done Kynte?

RIP Hacker

Alexz Johnson

Knyte
2010 SLF Tag Champ*
PostPosted: Sep 21 2011 12:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sure will. Should be up by the end of the week.
Reply to topic

Jump to: