SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
New Chiptunes Album by Jake "virt" Kaufman

Reply to topic
DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jan 24 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Jake Kaufman, aka virt (aaka Press Start composer), just released a new album of chiptunes music. And it rocks.

It's available to download here:

http://www.8bitpeoples.com/discography_gfx.php?artist=Virt#8BP071

Bzam!
Tebor
Title: Master of the Universe
PostPosted: Jan 24 2007 03:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've liked what Kaufman's been doing from the shorts, but I seriously can't listen to this genre of music anymore after listening to Episode 26 of The Lazlow Show. It just kinda zapped all the fun out of it.

"If you will not tell me, I will hurt people!!!" -Nuclear Man

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

8341 unread forum updates since I left (2/7/14)... Uh-oh.

DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jan 24 2007 03:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
...after listening to Episode 26 of The Lazlow Show.

I think you lost me there. What's that?

Mind you, chiptunes don't appeal to everyone. And for what it's worth, Jake does loads more than chiptunes stuff. You can hear a broader range of his work at jake.vgmix.com and virt.vgmix.com.

I recommend the Bubble Bobble a cappella. Wink
Tebor
PostPosted: Jan 24 2007 03:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

DarkMaze wrote:
Tebor wrote:
...after listening to Episode 26 of The Lazlow Show.

I think you lost me there. What's that?

I'm working on ripping the sample now.

DarkMaze wrote:
Mind you, chiptunes don't appeal to everyone. And for what it's worth, Jake does loads more than chiptunes stuff. You can hear a broader range of his work at jake.vgmix.com and virt.vgmix.com.

Thanks for the links. I remember going there before from the links from your site and I think I've linked there somewhere else... in a place that's a secret (albeit a secret in need of updating) to everyone.

"Do you hear? The alpha and the omega. Death and rebirth. And as you die, so will I be reborn!" - Skeletor

Tebor
PostPosted: Jan 24 2007 04:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Tebor wrote:
...but I seriously can't listen to this genre of music anymore after listening to Episode 26 of The Lazlow Show.

I was refering to this bit on their show here. It's just an excerpt from when they were talking about Second Life and DarkCon and using video game footage to make movies.

While a disagree with somethings they said on the show, I've found myself getting more and more annoyed by 8-bitish music except from the lovable tunes I grew up with. I don't know what it is. It started before I heard their show, but it's still a progression I feel.

Actually, I think I know what it is. I have no problem with digital sampling. I was working with a band to do a cover of "Doomsday Zone" from Sonic & Knuckles. Basically, the guitars and drums were all live insturments and I sampled in the midi keys from the game. I prefer this kind of musical integration. Michael Giacchino used to do a similar thing on "Alias" before he went entirely orchestral in the last two or three season. Just hearing pure digital tunes seems so amateurish to my ears now (probably because of my own musical work with GarageBand) that I can't listen to it anymore without it bothering me.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH JAKE KAUFMAN! I've been listening to the album while I've been mucking around with this post and I think he's done a marvelous job arranging. I HIGHLY suggest having a good listen. It's not quite jazz, but it's smooth. Cool

Irony: Lazlow is one of the writers of the GTA games and he's frequently on the radio stations in the series.

DarkMaze
PostPosted: Jan 24 2007 04:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, they're talking about Blip Festival. Jake was actually one of the performers at that. But man, the Lazlow show people took some less-than-stellar examples of what's actually out there.

Nevertheless, there's nothing wrong with not liking some or all of it, and I don't think anyone'll take offense. Smile
Reply to topic

Jump to: