SydLexia.com Forum Index
"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

[Edit Profile]  [Search]  [Memberlist]  [Usergroups]  [FAQ]  [Register]
[Who's Online]  [Log in to check your private messages]  [Log in]
Disturbed: Creative or Lame?

Reply to topic
Kurt
PostPosted: Apr 01 2006 04:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Disturbed. They've been overhyped recently, and I just want to gather some opinions before I start flame wars with random people.(not that I ever do that.) It obviously depends on if you like thier brand of metal, though. If you want to say they're a lame, gay band, please go ahead, just give some reasons.
Chrisby
PostPosted: Apr 01 2006 09:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

They have some good songs, particularly from their new album. But I'm not a fan.
Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Apr 01 2006 07:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like their cover of "Land of Confusion".
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Rycona
Title: The Maestro
PostPosted: Apr 01 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Syd Lexia wrote:
I like their cover of "Land of Confusion".

It's weird how I just posted on the music video thread about Lan dof Confusion.. and then it's here. =_=

I heard that cover for the first time last night. Someone at a LAN party was playing it on their computer. I didn't realize it was a cover at first until it got to the verse, because the sound from his computer is naturally distorted. It was ok... but the lack of atmosphere in the bridge killed me. I still sang along though, even through the bridge.

RIP Hacker.

Dr. Jeebus
Title: SLF Harbinger of Death
PostPosted: Apr 04 2006 10:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've always really liked them, especially live. They do get severely overplayed whenever a new album comes out however and with any band that always makes me get bored with which one or two songs get thrown on the radio. Fortunately, they'll never be as overplayed as Godsmack so I can continue to like them.

dr.jeebus.sydlexia.com - Updated sometimes, but on hiatus!
UsaSatsui wrote:
The three greatest heels in history...Andy Kaufman, Triple H, and Dr. Jeebus

S. McCracken
Title: Enforcer
PostPosted: Apr 04 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

I saw them live at Ozzfest a few years back, and I wasn't terribly impressed. While their sound is relatively distinctive when compared to other bands, every one of their songs sound exactly the same. They didn't do anything spectacular live that would make me rush out and see them again.

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Nov 01 2006 05:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

god damn old topics! I just have so much to say about this, being a disturbed fan. I know I'm bumping, but this conversation pretty much was "remember disturbed?" "yeah." "ok." maybe my insight will spark somethign up again.

the first album, being their first try, is very rough cut. sons like "conflict" show this, where the sogn is repetitive cries of "ENEMY" and dog barks. it was mostly acclaimed because it wasn't the same as every band before it. tehy came out at a time when generic nu metal bands were being pumped out of the factory faster than nameless WWE jobbers without gimmicks.

after doing "forsaken" on the queen of the dammned soundtrack, dramain discovered taht he could actually sing, and experimented alot more with this in "believe." the album confused people, as there were the die hard fans who loved the woof woofing of the first album, yet there were also people who never gave it a cahnce because tehy were expecting more woof woofing. Still being somethign new to the band, alot of songs weren't very memorable, as tehy were still experimenting. there were still some of the old styled songs, such as "rise" which weren't very complex, but they were overshadowed by songs like "mistress," which were too much in one direction. there were very few songs like "prayer" that had the right mix.

ten thousand fists comes around. the band has had time to hone their craft, and it really shows (radio overplay of stricken aside) songs like "ten thousand fists," "I'm alive" and my favorite, "pain redefined" have melodic sounds mixed with heavier instruments, and tehy don't jump around as much and change time as tehy did on the prior two albums. There are also thigns like guitar solos, which a fan like me would never ahve expected from this band. love it or hate it, I would suggest at least sitting down and listening to the whole CD at least once, if only to see how they have progressed.

Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Nov 01 2006 07:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't remember them changing time even once in a song on the first album. as much as I used to love the band (it's all kinda gotten old for me), I have to admit that my favorite songs are their covers of Shout and Land of Confusion. I think they have a great sound, but maybe they're better off applying their sound to already proven works. Yes, I just called Shout a proven work. What the fuck are you gonna do about it, bitch?

UsaSatsui wrote:

Syd Lexia
Site Admin
Title: Pop Culture Junkie
PostPosted: Nov 01 2006 07:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I like "The Sickness", especially the Richard Cheese cover of it.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Dr. Jeebus
PostPosted: Nov 02 2006 03:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

The song's actually called "Down With the Sickness". The album itself might have been "The Sickness". It was either that or self titled, and I can't remember.

UsaSatsui wrote:

FNJ
2010 SLF Tag Champ
PostPosted: Nov 02 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

the album was "the sickness"

I also enjoyd the richard cheese version... sometimens moree than the actual song...

Reply to topic

Jump to: